Beauty's nothing but the start of terror
In
my home town, in field on a slight rise, there stands what little remains of a
castle originally built in 1490. The castle was demolished after its garrison
surrendered to Oliver Cromwell's forces in 1645, during the English Civil War.
The stones of the castle live on in the farmhouses and parts of the town they
were used to construct.
All
that remains of the castle is the lower part of one of its four towers. It was
an exciting place to play as kids.
There
were, probably still are, stories of the castle being haunted. We didn't allow
such ghost stories to stop us from risking the ire of the local farmer though,
especially after we heard there was supposed to be treasure buried in the
dungeons.
One
summer's day, back in the late 60s, my elder brother and I were on treasure
hunting duties but we'd stopped to take a rest. In a hole - we always called it
a window - in the tower wall my brother noticed a boy standing. As I noticed my
brother staring, I looked up and saw the boy who could have been around my own
age of 8 or 9. The thing about him that was instantly noticeable was his
colouring; he was white. And I don't mean Caucasian.
Multiculturalism and ethnic
diversity hadn't arrived in my part of North West England back then. The
whole town was Caucasian.
When
I say the boy was white I mean literally - hair, skin, clothes, all one shade
of brilliant white.
And
then he disappeared!
In
the middle of an English summer day, in the middle of an open field, he was
gone.
Strangely,
neither my brother nor I, to this day, believe in ghosts.
I
don't know if this is a contradiction, but I do believe that there are people
who are able to intuit, perceive or understand things most of us are blithely
unaware of. I also believe that places live and breathe their histories. There
are many things in life that demand belief rather than explanation.
'Elegy' is a
ghost story with a bad ending. It's almost like the first two thirds were
written and left to percolate and then hurriedly finished the night before the
deadline.
By
contrast, the elegy
is an ancient poetic form usually in memory of a person who has died. That most
famous of American poems, "O
Captain, My Captain", by Walt Whitman,
is an elegy in memory of Abraham Lincoln.
The
traditional elegy expresses three stages of loss: lament, praise and
consolation. (cf. Elegy: Poetic Form)
Of
course, modern versions of traditional forms often break with the very nature
of what makes a thing traditional. Thus, Rainer Maria
Rilke wrote some of the most beautiful poetry in his 'Duino Elegies', more
concerned with a sense of existential loss than of the death of an individual.
Allow me the indulgence of the opening of the First Elegy:
And if I cried, who'd listen to me in
those angelic
orders? Even if one of them suddenly
held me
to his heart, I'd vanish in his
overwhelming
presence. Because beauty's nothing
but the start of terror we can hardly
bear,
and we adore it because of the serene
scorn
it could kill us with. Every angel's
terrifying. (trans. A.
Poulin, Jr)
While
there is little to praise and even less in which to find consolation, 'Elegy' certainly
asks us to lament the brutal and unnecessary deaths of these young women. We
should lament that we have built for ourselves a culture that breeds creatures
like Nurse Innes. We should lament that it is possible to have life taken so
brutally away for no reason other than being young and female. We should lament
for our culpability 'On
the Turning Away'.
Allegedly
we worship beauty in our modern world, what with celebrities
and body
shaming. Personally, I think Rilke had it right: "beauty's nothing but
the start of terror we can hardly bear, and we adore it because of the serene
scorn it could kill us with."
Comments
Post a Comment